Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Being Thankful

In church last week a speaker spoke about ingratitude and how it may be one of the worst sins because we are returning bad for good. So because of this, gratitude ranks as one of the most divine qualities we can emulate.
It is a good thing for me that Thanksgiving comes every year because I am not always the most grateful or gracious person. It's sad to think that I sometimes forget to say simple things like "thank yous " or even forget to notice when people take the time to think of me.
Recently, Mckinley has started saying "thank you mommy," or "thank you daddy" about every little thing we do for her. We always laugh about it because it sounds so cute coming out of her little mouth. But it also reminds me of the sweetness of little children. They never forget the important things.
It seems a little forced but if I make a list of the things that I am most grateful for I can allow my mind to really dwell on how blessed and lucky I am. So here goes:

I am so grateful for my husband David. I fall in love with him more every day.
I am so grateful for McKinley. She really is the light of my life.
I'm grateful for my church and the guide that the gospel is in my life.
I'm grateful that even in this time of economic hardship, I have everything that I really need.
I'm grateful that I have a job that I get to help sick people everyday, to remember how lucky I am to have a healthy family.
I'm grateful to be surrounded by family who are always willing to help with the daunting task of raising a child.
I'm grateful for the good friends we have that unknowingly make us better people by sharing their differences.
I'm grateful for my freedom. That I can be who I want to be.

It doesn't take a long list to put in perspective how lucky I am.

1 comment:

Sister Michelle Summerhays said...

What a great post. Thanks for reminding all of us how blessed we are! Happy Thanksgiving!