Monday, January 26, 2009

The Pulse Reader

Last week, I went to a Pulse Doctor. I know how weird it sounds but it was actually really interesting! A pulse reader is a medical doctor trained in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Specifically, this type of doctor has been taught to feel your pulse and instruct you on how to become healthier by this information. I thought this would be worth a shot because I have been trying to get pregnant since June with no result, and while I can certainly attest to the value of Modern Medicine, I know that there is credibility in a the wide range of natural or homeopathic healing also.
The consultation itself has a sort of "fortune telling" air about it because of the broken English of the Doctor and the fact that you don't offer any information before the Doctor reads your pulse. As he is reading your pulse, he jots down "notes" which look like scribblings and pictures because he is writing in Chinese. You put your wrist on a pillow and the Doctor feels your pulse and then you switch to the other wrist.
After feeling my pulse, the Doctor began by telling me that my menstrual cycles are not regular because of hormonal irregularities and sleep disturbances. At this point, I told him that I was having difficulty getting pregnant and was not sure why, as I didn't even have to try with my first baby. He also said that there is something wrong with my Eggs. ( I still don't know what, because I couldn't understand what he was trying to say.)
After this, he asked me if I had any lower back pain. I thought he was asking about some kind of back injury, which, I don't have. He drew a picture of a kidney bean, which I interpreted to be a picture of an Egg? and he said I was missing Yang there. (I sort of laughed at this because I knew I had lost some Yang somewhere along the line. I wonder where I put it?) I didn't really understand what he was talking about until after the consultation when I was looking again at the picture he had drawn and "Kidney" flashed through my head. (I don't know how I could have forgotten the kidney stone I had last year, but if I need to have some more Yang in my Kidney to not have that experience again, sign me up.)
Another reason that this is so interesting is because everyone that I have talked to has been amazed at how accurate and actually personal his interpretations are. It made me really think how closed my mind is about a lot of these remedies. Chinese medicine has been around for so much longer than what we call Modern Medicine and it seems likely that if it was completely unaffective, it would have been discarded long ago.
So now I am taking some herbs to see if they will restore my Yang, and help me get pregnant. Wish me luck!

8 comments:

Sister Michelle Summerhays said...

Good luck getting back your yang! And good luck trying to get pregnant - we hope it happens soon for you guys.

Sheri said...

lol about the Yang in your kidney. I didn't know you were trying to get pregnant, but I am glad, because that means you will make another DARLING baby! I'd say good luck, but that somehow sounds a little personal, considering the nature of how babies come about. aw...What the heck, Good luck in bed! lol

Someday I too will be ready to try to get pregnant again.... :)

Meridy said...

How funny! That is amazing how much he figured out.

I hope the herbs do the trick!

Melissa and Allen said...

I can't read through all the dots

Erica said...

Wow, that sounds pretty incredible. I wonder what it takes to get a Yang? Hmm... I think that he meant to say "You have to wait to get pregnant again until Erica does.. so you can be pregnant together. Erica is trying to find her Yin and you need to find your Yang. Then you will both get pregnant." haha

Abby said...

Hahaha! He did say something about waiting for Erica, and that she needs to get the ball rolling NOW! j/k. I know, I keep meaning to change the dots. My background is too busy, but seriously, changing the background is torture!

Jacci said...

Good Luck! I understand how frustrating it is to try to get pregnant! I hope it happens soon!

Eric and Brandi said...

Good Luck Abber! I hope that it all works out! And I truly believe in this " Pulse Reader" I dont really believe in modern medicane and I think the natural way is best. So keep up with the fun stuff and keep taking those herbs. And it will happen when you least expect it. Just like the first one.