Monday, July 6, 2009

Fourth of July Weekend



We had such a fun fourth of July weekend this year. Holidays are always more fun when they are on the weekend, I think, because you can start celebrating Friday and keep the party going through Sunday. (At least that was what we did this year.) My sister, Sunni, and her husband Shawn, came for the fourth this year, which made it especially fun because we don't get to see them very often. When they got here, we hiked Kanarriville falls. I have wanted to go on this hike ever since seeing Erica's pictures from last year, but I wasn't exactly sure how to get there. Thanks to JJ for coming with us to show us where everything is. It was fun to take our time walking along the stream (and through it too.) taking pictures and talking. This was a perfect hike for an afternoon because it isn't extremely long, but there is so much to see and climb around on. We really had fun.

Up inside the slot canyons there is this ladder made out of a log. It looked pretty iffy, but if you hold on to the rope that's hooked in to the rock wall it seemed a little safer. (hold on tight.)

We also found the waterslide! JJ and David were the adventurous ones who tried it out.

After the hike, we went to the Jackson family bar b que. We were a little late but luckily we got so see everyone who was visiting and got some good catching up in. We held my aunt Nicky's new baby, Olivia and got a little nervous that we are going to be having another one of those things. We are a bit rusty in the newborn department, I forgot about supporting the baby's neck and I'm just glad that her head didn't come off when I was holding her. There are good reasons for having baby's close together. Mckinley got hit with a swing right in the eye and now she has quite the shiner. She says that it is purple and very pretty, but actually it's looking more green today. (and not as pretty as it will be when it heals.)

The next day was the fourth, and we woke up to the canons going off at six. The Riddles had a bbq later on in the day and we spent most of the day telling Mckinley it wasn't time to go watch fireworks yet. The time finally came and we went out to Mooney and Todds to watch them. Mckinley and Sadie were funny. They both kept saying that certain fireworks were their favorites. (No, that's MY favorite!)
Sunday morning, we went to Sophies blessing. Our new nephew Dawson was getting blessed that day too and we are sad that we couldn't be to both occasions. Doesn't Sophie look very fat and beautiful on her blessing day? My Aunt Vicki makes blessing dresses for babies if anyone is interested. Each one is unique and she tailors them to your baby. She made this one out of raw silk for Sophie, and when Mckinley was blessed she made hers also. Each one is so gorgeous and different so if you are in the market call me and I will help you get in touch with her. After church, we had another bbq with great food. Ahhh, I love summer.

2 comments:

Erica said...

Hey Abs! I was seriously down there this weekend! So sorry I didn't call! My brother blessed his baby this weekend and we were doing BBQs and junk too, so it was kind of crazy.
I still wish I would have called you though, I would have loved to gone on the Kanara hike with you guys! That is the coolest hike huh? Who woulda thought it was so close to Cedar City?! I am really glad you got to go. Now the next hike you go on needs to be up in Spokane ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh boy! Can you believe that I'm still sore from that hike? Ha! It's weird seeing me and you in photos together too. We actually look alot more alike than I remember. Really strange...