Monday, August 31, 2009

No more drama allowed!

Last week, after having that whole swine flu scare, ( and being nervous about every cough or sniffle) I had to have my 28 week Glucose tolerance test. They told me that I could eat a normal breakfast before, just not sugary stuff like a candy bar or something....which, by the way IS my usual breakfast. So I had to settle for some toast instead. Then I went and had the test done, and it came back high! So, when this happens, it doesn't necessarily mean that you have gestational diabetes, it just means that you have to go have another test done that is a fasting test where they give you the drink after fasting for 12 hours and they take blood samples every hour for three hours(which really means four because they have to have a baseline sample to make sure that your fasting glucose is normal.) So anyway, fortunately that one came out normal because the gestational diabetes diet is a lot stricter than any diet I have ever done and I don't think it would have been so good for me because I'm a really bad sugar tooth.

Other news:
There are some pretty big fires burning up the mountain in New Harmony, which is just south of here. New Harmony is actually in our stake, and we received a call from David's elders quorum president on Saturday to ask if we could have people come to stay with us because they were evacuating New Harmony. Most of the people aren't actually leaving because they are concerned about their homes. The new governor has declared some type of state of emergency for the area. They are actually likening it to the California wildfires that have been a problem for the past few years. So far, I think there have been three homes burned to a crisp.
It's been very smoky in town. It looks like there is a big cloud of fog everywhere you go, but it's actually smoke. It has been so thick, you can actually look directly at the sun and it looks bright red. It has also been raining ashes at our house for the past couple of days. Everyone I've talked to who is actually helping fight the fire (I'm not, because I'm a pregnant fatso.) says it's not getting better because the wind is creating very difficult fire behavior. Pretty crazy. All of this started from a lightning strike that's actually been burning for a couple of weeks, but got out of control some time Saturday. I'll take some pictures to go with this post and put them up too.

4 comments:

Amber said...

Glad to hear you are swine flu-less. That's scary. I'm also glad to hear that you don't have gestational diabetes - I'm supposed to take my test this week and I am dreading it. I'm always paranoid that I have it since I eat sugar like it's the only food group in existence.

Sheri said...

So they didn't make you fast for the first glucose test? They've made me fast for the first one on both of my pregnancies. Weird. I hate that drink.

Sister Michelle Summerhays said...

I'm glad you don't have gestational diabetes! That would definitly suck. We have been getting lots of fire smoke up here, too and sometimes the sun looks red. It's so strange! I feel like I'm in a sci-fi movie or something.

Kjersti said...

No crappy diet for Abby! Yay! I also hope this fire ends soon so no more houses are burned, and I'm sick of the smoggy skies. :(