Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My Honeymoon Luggage Revised!

If you know me very well, you should know that I LOVE thrift stores. I think it is so satisfying to find old and make it new again. Well, to celebrate being married for 5 wonderful years with my sweet Husband, we are going on a little weekend getaway.(More about that later.) For this getaway, I have revamped the same luggage that I took on my Honeymoon to Jackson Hole. Although I can't really take credit for this idea because I got it from my amazing sister, I've included some basic instructions for how to recreate your own Valentine getaway luggage, for 10 dollars or less. Really. And if I can do it, I promise you can too!

What you will need:
An old vintage suitcase with a hard cover. I'm convinced that every DI has these for 3 dollars each. When you are buying them, check the inside for the lock key, and to ensure that the inside is in good condition. Stockpile them.
Tacky glue: 3 dollars at the craft store
Fabulous Fabric that you have been wanting to do just the right thing with.

My old suitcase looked like this:

Wash the outside of the suitcase with a washcloth and warm soapy water.
Then measure the face of the suitcase. Cut your fabric to include about a half inch of extra on each side. Remember, we are doing one side at a time.
Starting at the center and working your way out, begin applying glue to the suitcase plastic. Smear the glue into a thin layer with your finger.
Remembering to start in the middle and smooth outward, apply your fabric. Pull it tight across the glue to remove wrinkles.
When you get to the bordering edges, fold the extra fabric under to make a seam and glue down.
That's really all that there is to it. Very easy!
Here is what I will be packing my things in for my 5 year anniversary getaway: A perfect reminder of my Honeymoon, it's even wearing my wedding colors! (I embellished the front of mine with a rose that I made using instructions from my sisters website, Cupcake Goddess.com) I will post some more pictures of some other ones I'm working on for Mckinley, David and Dolce.

4 comments:

Sunni said...

It is very cute and I'm so glad the flower turned out well! Ms. Dolce is looking just like her dad and she is so cute. Have fun on your Anniversary!

Nikki said...

That is the cutest thing ever! Marshall needs an overnight bag so badly for his weekly sleepovers at my mom's. Thanks for the idea and instructions!

Meridy said...

How darling!

Melissa and Allen said...

so cute! Nicole and I are going to make one!