Saturday, January 22, 2011

Wall haberdashery and a felt pillow!

Add Image

I love it when things that I see turn out the way I thought they would! This is so often not the case for me. I usually have a completely different vision from what I end up with. However, these projects turned out just as I hoped and I'm excited to display them in my house.

You could make this big wall mirror for less than 10 dollars! This is one of those cheap over the door mirrors that you can buy at Wal mart for $6.50. The embellishment is paper that came from a mass market paperback. You know, any book you aren't every going to read again.(Don't look too closely, the F word could be on some of those pages. So much better cut up and made pretty...)
My over the door mirror was falling apart a bit so I thought this would be a good way to re vamp it. I used some pinking shears to cut the edges of the paper and then wrapped the paper around the eraser end of a pencil to make it bunch together. Then hot glued the paper to the mirror. It was done in a couple of hours. Then I hung it on some grosgrain ribbon and put it up on the wall.


This felt pillow was just as easy, and actually cheaper. You can make this with 1/2 yard of felt. Cut two squares of felt 16''x16". Sew around the edges of the pillow leaving an opening to stuff it through. Turn right side out.Then for the petals trace around the rim of a large glass, a regular size canning ring, and a baby bottle top.(You can adjust your sizes to your own liking.) Then cut out 15 circles of each size and cut them in half. Starting at the outer edge with your large half circles, hot glue each petal in place. Layer the petals how you'd like them to be and when you get to the center, cut out 6 circles of your largest size. glue one flat in the center. Then fold the others in half then in half again and hot glue. Stuff the pillow and stitch the opening closed and you're done!

6 comments:

Erica said...

These are so cute!!! And I love the shoes! You are so cute and creative-- want to come do a makeover on my house and wardrobe?

dizzlethoughtsandcupcakes said...

I love love both of these crafts!!!! Great job Abb!!!

Meridy said...

The mirror is really cute, but I have to say that I ADORE that pillow. Thanks for posting!

Sister Michelle Summerhays said...

VERY cute crafts! Once I learn how to use the new sewing machine I got for Christmas, I will probably try making a similar pillow - seems easy enough!

And congrats on baby boy! I swear I have checked your blog in the past few weeks, but I guess I didn't notice the obvious baby ticker or "the best kept secret" in your awards ceremony (mental note: be more attentive to detail...). Anyway, congratulations! And I take it you are naming him Rome? So cute!

Melissa and Allen said...

You did your pillow!!! Mine is still sitting on my table but I think I'm going to do it tomorrow. Yours turned out SUPER cute! And you are genius with the mirror. You are my crafting inspiration!

Melissa and Allen said...

wait a second. i just realized your pillow is way cuter than mine. no fair. how'd you make yours so freakin cute?