Monday, July 14, 2008

Midsummer Celebration







Last week, we wanted to start a new and unique tradition. So we had a "Midsummer's Eve Celebration." I don't really know that it was really Midsummer's Eve when we had the Celebration, but it sounded good so that's what we called it.
We started out by taking McKinley on a little nature hunt around our yard and neighborhood, collecting things that remind us of summer to give to the "Midsummer's Eve Fairy." (If you need some clarification on who the Midsummer's Eve Fairy might be, give me a call.) Anyway, then we put all of our "loot" into a big wooden bowl and left it for the Midsummer's Eve Fairy to come and get. (We heard that if you leave a present for the Midsummer's Eve Fairy, she leaves a treat for you. ) This is a picture of our bowl of gifts we left for the Midsummer's Eve Fairy.

Roses, Hollyhocks, herbs, wheat,daisies, walnuts, and eggs from our Chickens were what we came up with.
She seemed to really like it because she left us some supplies to make a Summer Chicken Salad, parmesan rolls, grape juice and a Strawberry Torte for dessert. Mmmm! She also left hair garlands for the girls and travel sweets for David, as well as Hollyhocks for us to make Hollyhock dolls with. (I used to make these all the time with my Grandma Riddle.)

You make these dolls out of Hollyhock flowers, buds and toothpicks. (McKinley loved making and playing with these.)

























We finished off our celebration by eating dinner outside underneath our gazeebo. McKinley and I wore our hair garlands and David loved having dinner with two "fair maidens."



































This was the first Torte that I (I mean the Midsummer's Eve Fairy) had made by myself. So I made David take a picture of me in front of the Chicken coop holding it.


Also, David would like me to make it clear that he is not "posing" in this picture.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

That is so fun! I love traditions. You are such a cute mom!

Kristiwistin said...

What a fun celebration! I think YOUR blog is one of my favorites, so how do you like that?

Melissa and Allen said...

you are so beautiful. i want to be you