Monday, August 25, 2008

The trip with my seven brothers




No, this is not a real accident. We did this on purpose! I am a recruit with Cedar Fire Department and a couple weeks ago I went to summer fire school with 7 other recruits from my class. It was held in Provo, so you can imagine how busy I was trying to keep 7 firefighters out of jail in Utah County.(Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.) We had a lot of fun, although I must say that any time you put 7 men together, they all turn into 14 year olds with a drivers license...(Sorry guys, but you know it's true.)
I was in the extrication class and really learned a lot especially about stabilizing a vehicle after a car accident. (it is a lot more difficult and dangerous than I ever thought to get patients out of seriously damaged cars.) But the exciting thing was that I was able to effectively do it! There are a lot of things that I am nowhere near as proficient in doing because I don't have the body strength that a man has. The extrication tools are about 50 pounds each and they are hydraulic tools, some of which have the capabilities of spreading or cutting 350000 pounds of pressure. (So that really makes up the difference in my wimpiness.)
Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and I also realized how lucky my department is to have the up to date tools and training opportunities that we have.

2 comments:

Erica said...

If I'm ever in an accident like that, YOU are the one I want pulling me free. Abby, you are my hero!

Sheri said...

Cool Abby! You ROCK!