Thursday, January 8, 2009

There's nothing like June in January!



We had such a fun time visiting some family members in Arizona over New Years. Last summer David's parents moved to Gilbert, Arizona and we hadn't been able to visit them until now. It was really fun to pack up our stuff and head South to enjoy warm weather and fun in the January sun. As we were driving down, we stopped in Vegas, took a wrong turn and ended up in Cocaine town. Seriously we were scared. I debated whether I should jot down my last will and testament just in case we got shot. So after we bought some paraphernalia, we got the heck outta there and ended up on the strip, which was fun for like five minutes. They close down almost every road because of the famous First Night celebration there. So we had to ask for directions for the best way out. When David asked a gas station attendant how to get to Phoenix, he just looked at him in shock and said, "you want to go to Phoenix when you are in Las Vegas, on New Years Eve?" We held to the rod in spite of the peer pressure,(everyone is your friend in Vegas on New Years Eve.) and got back on track. We took the Scenic route and actually drove on the old Route 66 for a while into California. It was dark, but sweet nonetheless.
We rung in the New Year right as we got to Kae and Brad's house and David jumped into the pool to celebrate. (Kae and Brad's pool wasn't heated at all, so the temperature of the pool was 58 degrees. But he did it anyway.) The next day we spent almost the whole day in the swimming pool and hot tub at Grandma and Grandpas. (Theirs was heated.) A highlight of the trip was that we got sunburned in January. For dinner, we had Hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill. I love eating dinner in my swimming suit.
Mckinley was so excited to get to play with Mica while she was there. They had so much fun together and Mckinley wanted to be with Mica and Isaak the whole time we were there.

We also had the fun opportunity to pick oranges and lemons while we were there. I had never done this before and it was so neat to me to see them on the trees. I loaded my handbag up with oranges hoping that my bag would smell like them forever. Such a fabulously fresh smell.

The next day, we had some more fun swimming in the morning. David and his sisters played horse off the diving board. In this picture David is a "HO." hahaha. Kae played too and I was so worried about her the whole time because she is four months pregnant. But she didn't let that stop her from showing her skills.

At some point during the diving challenge, David felt the need to prove that he is a real man by doing a bellyflop on purpose. It was a ten as far as bellyflops go, it even sounded painful. Afterwards, he had a big red welt on his chest.
Later in the afternoon, we went to Isaak's baptism. Way to go Isaak. It was a very special day for him. After the baptism we went back to Kae and Brads and ate Uruguayan? food and played rock band, and yes I did participate. I can't deny that I did actually play. There are pictures to prove it. David is convinced that these aviator glasses are the secret sauce to playing the guitar, and I actually have to agree. I'm a groupie now. I even have his autograph.
It was such a fun trip. We were really glad to be able to go visit. It always feels a little lonely when you don't get to see all of your family at Christmas, and I know that David was especially feeling a little bummed about not being able to be with them, but this trip was the next best thing. Thanks for a fun time, everyone!

3 comments:

Erica said...

K I just left you this huge, long comment and I clicked "publish" and my internet disconnected. I am so ticked.
Ugh, ok let me try to remember what I wrote. Something about how you guys are so cute and fun and how I miss you like crazy.
I also wrote something to the effect of I am glad you guys didn't get picked off by gang members when you were in Vegas.
I also wrote that you are so photogenic and that if you weren't my best friend I would hate you because you are so beautiful. That's about it! haha I think.
Miss you Abs! Call me sometime and we will catch up!
Love ya!

Sister Michelle Summerhays said...

It looks like you guys had a good time. I haven't been swimming in the winter in a long time, but I used to love it as a kid! I don't think I have ever barbecued in the middle of winter, though. We'll have to try that one. I vote that you guys should make your next vacation to SLC... :)

Melissa and Allen said...

Hi! Oh my, I am so jealous! What a fun trip. I want warmth! And I absolutely love the picture of you and that cactus! That is awesome! K one of these days you need to come up with your hubby!!! Have I thanked you yet for that delicious cowboy caviar? I loved it!
Come visit me!!!
p.s. we're going to vegas in March so we'll stop by!