Monday, February 16, 2009

Mckinley learns something new

Look at this face. Such a little Angel! Through and through. Mckinley has been working on painting with watercolors lately and on this particular day, she decided that watercolors make good make up. And Nail polish. I wonder if I look this way to her when I have my make up on?
Anyway, this is not the new thing that she has learned. The new thing of late is for her to use the naughty word "Dammit." A lot too. What is it about kids that when they figure out there is something that they aren't supposed to do, it's like prime incentive to do it more? And the funny part is that when she says it, she doesn't have an angry tone, and she doesn't yell it, she just calmly and quietly says it. And where did she learn this word? I don't actually use this one very often when I'm not with drunken disorderly patients. Just kidding. But really, we do try not to swear when Mckinley is listening because she picks up EVERYTHING.
Does anyone have any ideas for how to rectify this problem? She keeps having to put her nose on the fridge (our favorite method of discipline.) for this offense. However, judging by how often her little nose is on the fridge these days, it doesn't seem to be helping.

4 comments:

Meridy said...

LOL!!!!!

I would give her something new to say instead. Something that she would think was interesting/funny. Or maybe something from a show that she watches...Like in Higgly Town Heroes, the little girl always says, "Ah Pickles!" when she is upset.

Sheri said...

Ha ha ha! That's so funny. Kids are too cute.

Little Garry started saying "crap" last year. I'd hear him say, "aw, cwap" and I was aghast. We started correcting him whenever we heard it. "We don't say crap, Garry, we say SNAP, say 'Aw SNAP'". And we had to stop saying it ourselves, of course, which was much more difficult than I thought it would be. He was good at helping me remember, though. "No say cwap, mommy. Say SNAP."

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha! What has the grandmother been saying around her? I seem to recall that being a favorite of our mother.

I also seem to recall that you used to love expletives too! Don't you remember the sweet taste of soap?

Abby said...

Soap might be the answer. I did have to have my mouth washed out exactly once. After which, I didn't say the naughty words for a long time.