Monday, July 27, 2009

Pioneer Day Celebrations

It has always been my family's tradition on the 24th of July to go to the 2nd ward pancake breakfast. I don't think I've ever missed it even when I have lived away from home going to college. This year was no different. Mckinley was even excited at seven in the morning to go to the breakfast. She woke up from a sound sleep and said she was ready to go. In fact she even did her own hair. This is her "crown" and she is pretty particular about how it goes in her hair.

Every year, when we have gone through the breakfast line, Don Marchant has worn some type of funny hat and asked if we want sprinkles in our pancakes. It has become quite the staple to always get sprinkles even though you can't even taste them.

This is a fake smile from David. He can't figure out why the breakfast starts at 7am on a holiday.

Mckinley, my dad and me. (No makeup yet, yikes.)

There is always a parade on the 24th but we didn't make it there this year. It's always so blazing hot, that you wonder what you were thinking before it even starts. This year, we had to opt for an early nap because our little girl can only be nice for so long when she wakes up at 6:30.

Every year, I get roped in to doing some type of musical number somewhere on the 24th. I thought I was home free this year when my mom called the night before saying that she needed to cover an hour at the music stage at the park because of a cancellation, and she needed me to take up some of the time.

Mckinley took a free run on the pirate ship while we were at the park, and then she saw the slide and wanted to do 4 slides. ( = at least 15 by her count.) She rubs her hands together before she goes down every time. We thought it was so funny.


Later in the afternoon, we had a bbq at my Grandma Riddles. All the grandkids used to sleep over outside in sleeping bags and listen to my Grandma tell stories of our family pioneers and ancestors, but this year was kind of sad because all of the grandkids have grown up and only a few were sleeping over. Next year, maybe Mckinley will sleep over. I made some Homemade Lemonade for the party and put it in a big clear jar. I forgot to take a picture but it was kind of cute.
What a fun busy day!

No comments: