Thursday, December 31, 2009

A great Christmas!

This Christmas was a little hard for me. Whether it was from economic difficulties, trying to figure out a new collicky baby, or just feeling "grinchy," it was hard for me to get into the Christmas spirit this year. However, a little late, but worth the wait, my feelings did change, and this Christmas has been probably one of the best that I can remember. It seems like there was a series of things that did the trick for me. Here are a few:
I told Mckinley that Santa wasn't going to come to her this year unless she picked out some toys to take to the DI so that a "poor little girl" could have a nice Christmas too. This was actually meant as a way to clean out the closet space to make room for some of the new things she would be getting. However, I was very touched when after spending quite some time in her room, she came out with some of her most cherished things. "Is the poor little girl my friend?," she asked me. I was tempted to quietly put her special toys back in her room and replace them with some I knew she wouldn't miss, but in doing so, I knew I would be taking away her sweet gift. I rushed the toys to the DI that day, and I know I wasn't too late to give a "poor little girl" a nice Christmas. Especially if I was the poor little girl.
I also had the opportunity to play in the Messiah this year. I grew up on the music and each year, I think I appreciate it more. Handel must have known the Savior. His music is probably some of the best known in the world. That's not by chance.
We got a Christmas card from the Holliday's this year. We are always so glad when they think of us. David got misty eyed reading the card and he didn't really know why. But I do. It was the words, "In fond memory of our beloved Daniel." There's something very beautiful about a family who hasn't given up on their son. How significant at this time of year to remember that the atonement is going to work for all of us.
I found myself choking back the tears when my mother was telling me about a little three year old girl with her mother getting some things from the local care and share. It turns out that a broken heart is actually a good thing. But be careful. You never know what you will do when you have one. My mom took a load of food to Care and Share twice this year.
I loved Alison's story about her hospital stay. She would have pulled out every IV they put in and probably wouldn't be here now if it weren't for the Relief Society sisters who came to the hospital to help her heal simply by holding her hands.
My dad is an artist. And I never knew. Christmas morning my mother handed us a journal he has been drawing in. David has been drawing his whole life and says he can't even draw like that. I went through the whole book looking for one thing. Erase marks. I didn't find any and so I've had to conclude that this is just another way he has of expressing himself. Maybe it's as natural as talking. I don't know. But one thing is for sure. He didn't need an eraser.
I wonder what Christmas looked like through my Aunt Elaine's eyes. This is her last Christmas and she knows it. She only has a week or two left. She would've had a much different perspective this year. Probably one we should all have.

Christmas. I've been told before that it means "more Christ." I got it this year. Maybe for the first time.

Well, I guess this is my last post for this year. 2009 is about over. See you next year!
Cheers!

No comments: