Monday, September 26, 2011

Welcoming Fall!

Isn't Autumn such an enchanting time of year? I think I look forward all summer long to seeing the leaves change, eating harvest-ee food, wearing hoodies, and decorating for the season. Fall even has it's own smell! This fall, I've decided to put together a few blog posts about how I plan to celebrate fall. I want to share some autumn recipes, easy crafts, and fun ideas, and maybe it will help you feel a little more fallish too! So check back here every so often during the next couple of weeks and don't forget to leave me a note about how you celebrate the season.


Professor Pencil Skirt


Fall is back to school time.If you know me, you might be aware that I love thrift store shopping. (My husband calls this hoarding.) I also love refashioning to make old things new again. I made this skirt from a large men's sweater I found at the DI. If you would like to make yourself one, begin by looking for a large sweater that has a middle section large enough and long enough to fit as a skirt. Cut the sleeves and the collar off and try it on inside out. Pin the side seams at your hips and down the length of the skirt. Take the skirt off carefully to avoid skewering your self with the pins. Sew along the lines you made with the pins using a small stitch on your sewing machine. To make the waistband, measure around your waist and add 1 inch to the measurement. Then from the sleeves of the sweater, cut rectangles that are one half of your measurement x4 inches. Cut 4 rectangles. (2 for the waistband, 2 for a facing) Stitch the side seams of the waistband and facing. Then with right sides together stitch across the long edge of the waistband and facing. Then attach the waistband by sewing it to the top of your skirt. Make sense?

The best part is that this sweater skirt can do double duty as a scarf. Just ruche it up and hang it around your neck when things get chilly.

2 comments:

Melissa and Allen said...

You are just too cute for your own good. I love your skirt and I love your purple shirt. I love the leg warmers you made your girls and I especially love the girls themselves. I love your cute bedspread too. And I love little Rome. I need to meet him asap. And I love fall too and I wish we were celebrating it together.
p.s. I love your blog too. (I just love everything that has to do with you, ok?)

Melissa and Allen said...

Oh and by the way, I made a cute Halloween wreath with Jacci. I will post about it. And I painted a hutch in my kitchen yellow. Its super cute. And I put up a few fall decorations around my house. That's about as fall as I have been so far. Its still so hot- it doesn't feel like Fall! I love fall though. I want to do more fall-ish things. Like go to a pumpkin patch. And throw a Halloween party for kids. And definitely do some more crafts.