Wednesday, December 14, 2011

St. Lucia's Day

This year we wanted to learn a little more about some of the Christmas traditions celebrated in other countries. David has some Swedish ancestry on his side of the family, so we decided to celebrate St. Lucia's day. Celebrated on December 13, the shortest day of the year, Swedish families celebrate St. Lucia's Day. St. Lucia was a young girl who was martyred in 304 AD. The most common story told of her is that she brought food to persecuted Christians who were in hiding in the Catacombs underneath the city of Rome. She wore candles on her head so that she could carry more food. Lucy means light, so this is an appropriate name for her. Today for the celebration, a girl member in the family dresses in a white dress with a red sash, with Lingonberry garland in her hair which represents new life in winter. She wakes up very early, before the sun is up to go to each member of the household and invite them to a breakfast of Saffron buns and coffee.(We used wassail) This begins the Christmas celebration in Sweden. Kinley got to be our St. Lucia. She took cinnamon roles and wassail to some neighbors. We thought this was interesting to learn about and a fun way to share a gift.

3 comments:

Kjersti said...

This makes me so happy. My mom used to dress me up for St. Lucia's day because I am named after my 3rd great grandma from Sweden. I loved my little white dress and wreath and candles on my head. I took buns to my classroom at school. :) I love all the fun things you do with your kids!

jenny said...

I'm in a classroom of first graders learning about St. Lucia day when we came across your sweet picture. I was looking for some pictures of girsl with the candle wreaths on their heads. Your picture is very sweet! I have no Swedish heritage (that I know of), but I love teaching about this holiday. Thanks for sharing!
Jenny Adams, TX

jenny said...

I am a teacher in a first grade talking about St. Lucia Day when I came across your sweet picture of your child. Thanks for sharing! (I hope this did not post multiple times---I was having trouble logging in to comment!)
Jenny Adams, TX