Monday, May 12, 2008

retrospective Mothers Day


You are the trip I did not take
You are the pearls I cannot buy.
You are my blue Italian lake
You are my piece of foreign sky.
--Anne Campbell

This Mothers day was a thought provoking one. Mckinley was sicker than she has ever been before with a bad cough, congestion and a fever that lasted all day and night. All she wanted to do was be held in the rocking chair with her blankies. So I stayed home from church with her and we rocked the day away. And as she was sleeping, I had time to myself to think back on the experience of becoming a mother. I think that David and I were pregnant on our honeymoon. (I'm really not kidding.) As soon as we found out, we were both so excited and scared to death, shocked. I thought David was going to either pass out or die when I told him. (he turned whiter than a ghost.) In spite of being so thrilled, I also was afraid that I would be missing out on time with just David and I. We only knew each other for like eight months by the time we got married. I was also planning to go to Tuscany for two weeks with my mom and sister that summer. This was big, because the farthest away I have ever been is Oregon. And there were so many other emotions, I had to grow up now and stop doing crazy things,(although I kept snowboarding for 2 1/2 months after I knew.) and I had to eat better and do all the things that mothers do. But as the pregnancy progressed I started to really love my baby, and I stopped worrying about everything. David and I have an eternity together, and a lifetime to explore the world. And for whatever reason, we needed McKinley right away. I want her to know someday that she is the greatest achievement of my life, and that no sacrifice has ever been too great to outweigh the joys of being her mother. We love her so much. Our lives would not be complete without her.

5 comments:

Amber said...

ABBY!!!!! I am so happy to have found you! I've actually really been wanting to track you down lately but wasn't sure where to start. Your little girl is so beautiful!! And you look amazing! I'm glad to see that you're so happy! I'd love to get in touch with you and catch up. Email me at amberleeparry@gmail.com when you have a moment. In the mean time you can check out my little family on our blog www.veryparry.blogspot.com I hope to hear from you soon!
Amber Fillmore

STMConsulting said...

Abby- Hey! I am so glad to hear from you! Oh wow its been awhile - We both have families! This is crazy! Well your little girl is an angel and I am glad that you are doing well. I actually miss Cedar City. For the longest time I just wanted to get away. But now that I have a family I realize what an amazing place it is to raise one. Miss you-
Stacie
PS I am signed under Steve, but its me!

Amber said...

Hey Abby! I got your message just as I lost my voice, my kids and I have the worlds nastiest cold right now. Hopefully I'll be able to talk again by tomorrow, if not then DEFINITELY expect my call monday! I'm so excited to talk to you!!!
Amber

Nikki said...

That was the sweetest story!

Melissa and Allen said...

Tender:) That makes me excited to be a mommy