Sunday, June 22, 2008

Tornados, Chiggers and Jail time






Yeah! I am very happy to say that I made it home! We went and we conquered,(I passed my test!) and I have never been so happy to be home. Overall we had a really good time in Missouri. I met some really motivated and occupationally inspiring people, and I attempted to learn way more than my brain could really handle in two weeks.


However....while we were there, it was tornado season.(Actually I don't really know if there is a "tornado season" but there were tornados all over the place.) Greg and Ray, (two other medics I went to the training with.) thought it was so hilarious when I knocked on their door in the middle of the night to run for cover. We were never actually in a tornado, but we were just in the warning zones several times, and that experience was education enough for me. I don't need to be vacuumed up to know that getting up close and personal with a tornado isn't such a sweet deal.



Next item on the agenda: Chiggers.

These are little mites that burrow into your skin like ticks. Gross right? After being in Missouri for a few days, Ray and Greg had these bites that they could not stop itching. They tried hot water, Rubbing Alcohol, itch cream, nothing helped. So we asked some of the locals what they do for what we thought were mosquito bites. "Those aren't mosquito bites friends, you have chiggers." So Greg and Ray had to go to the store and get this cream called "Chiggerex" but as they were talking about it, I thought they kept saying "chiggerettes" and so it was their funny joke that they went to Missouri completely clean and came back addicted to "Chiggarettes." The wierd thing was that I never got any bites, so I guess I should feel very lucky that chiggers don't like the taste of me.


Then of course we had jail time. I know, you thought I was better than that, right? Well, how often am I in the great state of Missouri? I have never been to any church history sites and so we went to old Liberty Jail. It was only about twenty minutes away from us and so we went and took the tour. It was really neat, and there is an amazing spirit there. I had Greg take a picture of me there so when he gives it to me, I'll post it.




2 comments:

The Toy Snob said...

What a neat trip. I'm glad you're out of your Misery (haha, get it?) So I promise I'm working on a list of church toys, I haven't forgotten and I loved the suggestion.

Sheri said...

Chiggers were the bane of my Missouri existence, and are still the bane of my Missouri visits. Disgusting little creatures. I avoid them at all costs. This year's trip to Missouri starts a week from tomorrow, and I thank you for this friendly chigger reminder. :)