Sunday, September 28, 2008

Mckinleys Baby Pumpkin

This summer, our vegetable garden was a FLOP. There is no nice way of putting it, it just didn't work out for us this year. I planted everything too early and then things froze...like at the beginning of June when we are supposed to be over the freezing temperatures. So then when I should have planted again, I was out of town for two weeks. Not to mention, Scooby dug everything up when we weren't watching. So those are my excuses for why we only grew dirt this year.
My parents, however, are expert gardeners and their garden was just as successful as it always is. So, they grew tons of pumpkins this year. One of the pumpkins was this really cute little one that we kept showing to Mckinley all summer. She kept wanting to pick it so we explained to her that we couldn't pick it yet because it was sleeping under it's leaf and it was still a baby so it had to sleep longer. (does anyone else spin this type of yarn for their kids?)
Anyway, the day finally came when the baby pumpkin was ready to be picked. So we picked it and took it home. For the last few days, Mckinley has been "taking care" of her baby pumpkin. It has it's own blanket.(a dish towel.) and she takes it on walks in the stroller, she wont go anywhere in the car without it and she lugs it all over the house in it's blanket. She also seems convinced that it enjoys watching her movies as much as she does. Never before has a baby pumpkin been so loved. I will try to remember to post a picture of Mckinley with it tomorrow. This was supposed to be the pumpkin that Mckinley was going to carve for Halloween but I think that could be a little traumatic for her, so we will have to find another one.

4 comments:

Nikki said...

That is possibly the cutest thing ever!

Sister Michelle Summerhays said...

What a sweetheart! I am so excited for Jackson to get a little older so he will do cute things like that, too!

Anonymous said...

Has she named it yet? How cute! I wish I could still be like that. So content with a baby pumpkin.

Melissa and Allen said...

Aw! I miss McKinley! That is so stinkin cute. My garden was pretty much a flop too. I swear this just wasn't a garden summer. I don't know anybody who had a flourishing garden. I grew 1 carrot, 1 head of lettuce, 1 head of spinach, 1 pumpkin, 1 zucchini, a few spaghetti squashes, a few tomatoes and ZERO beans, ZERO potatoes and ZERO cucumbers. Hopefully next year it will work out. Post a picture of her with her baby pumpkin!!! Are you guys coming up for our halloween party??? you need to!