Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A street party and a wedding

Last Saturday was my parents street party. As I was growing up, we never had a street party but the neighbors began having one a few years ago and each year it seems to get better and better. It was so much fun to see all of my old neighbors together and there was so much food. They also had a live band, some of the neighbors danced, hula hoops everywhere, a bounce castle (Mckinley's favorite.) and my dad's dutch oven cooking. It was pretty cold and windy but it really didn't stop a lot of people from coming and even staying late to listen to the band.

Then on Sunday, we went to a wedding up in Beaver canyon. The bride is one of my mom's students and so my mom and I did a musical number during their ceremony. It was a Christian wedding that reminded me so much of when I was a little girl marrying off my Barbie dolls. They really couldn't have picked a better spot for an outdoor wedding. The picnic area was so beautiful and sheltered from the wind. There is a bridge over a pretty big river that we had to cross to get to the place where they held the ceremony, and you could hear the river rushing the entire time we were there. It was really so beautiful, I'm so mad I forgot my camera, but it's ok because we are going back for an overnight camping trip with JJ and Valeena when it warms up. (They just don't know it yet haha.)
After the ceremony, a dinner was served. It was very different from any other wedding dinner I've been to because the food was a long line of authentic Mexican food. The grooms family made the food and they were each standing by, serving their specialty. They served things I had never tried, like two different kinds of Mole, (David and I loved the green kind.) Rolled Tacos that they were deep frying in a huge fry pot over coals, Spanish and sweet rice, Enchiladas, homemade guacamole, and homemade flan which was amazing. There were a lot of things we didn't know the names for, but we tasted just about everything and loved it all. It was a lot of fun.

3 comments:

Erica said...

Now THAT is my kind of wedding! I LOVE Mexican food. If I could go back and do it all over, we would totally have a fiesta!

Anonymous said...

Abby...this is Libby (Seaman) Brown. Mary Jane's grand daughter and Lauren & Sally's older sister. I came across your blog. I was in Cedar last year for the street party. It was so fun. Fun to see that you are doing well. Please tell your parents hi for me!

Meridy said...

I agree the food at the wedding sounds like it was so yummy! It's always better when it is authentic.